I blog gluten-free

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Beef Stroganoff (The Grandmas are Magic, Edition 500)

There are times when I wonder: Do I eat red meat too much? It's beginning to become a "safe" food, go to a steak house, or order a small meat dish... and do my best to substitute for bread. (Applesauce, potatoes, fries and more have been substitutes. Be POLITE when doing any ordering... but particularly if you need some considerations and thus need to ask a few favors. Ordering off-menu should not be a battle-field.)

But: it does come in handy, and I like meat dishes, I just like mixing them up, so it's not the same old, same old. Because I'll get tired of it in a heart beat, as I did when starting on the gluten-free diet, and having to learn, after a gamut of tests (blood, endoscopy, etc...none of which I will detail here, as I'd rather you get hungry and start cooking!)
I have always loved beef stroganoff, and so, my recipe- tweaked a bit from the one Grandma used. And no, nothing tastes quite like it does coming from Grandma's hands- Grandmas are magic in many ways, you see!
Beef Stroganoff:
You will need
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 tablespoon of canola oil-DON'T put it away just yet!
  • 8 oz of beef strips
  • 2 tablespoons each of all purpose flour (I like King Arthur & Bob's Red Mill), and salt and pepper, TO TASTE
  • 2 tablespoons of canola oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon of salt
  • 1/4 cup of sour cream
  • 1 lb of sliced fresh mushrooms
AND: A package of noodles. Wide is usually preferred (Tradition) I don't however often see Tinkyada making a traditional noodle, although they have a lasagna noodle I can use instead.


1) Heat oil over medium heat. Add onion. Cook until softened. Set aside.
2)Coat beef strips with flour
3)Heat remainder of oil in same pan
4)Cook beef strips on medium for 4 minutes
5)Drain fat from pan, put strips aside
6)Add onion & mushrooms and cook for one minute. Add in sour cream and beef strips, and cook an additional two minutes.
7)Cook noodles by package instructions. Generally, with gluten-free pastas,  it's a safe bet that this is about 15 minutes.
8)Toss beef and mushrooms, and noodles together.
And you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment