I blog gluten-free

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Eskimo Girl?

So the snow is now upon us again, and sticking. I kind of prefer when moisture and weather do something, rather than just hanging there. Because then some of the pressure from the moisture is off of me, and well, even though viewing the sky from my windows is now a difficult proposition (Crane that neck!) as I live partially underground in a "Garden Apartment", (Sounds so pretty, doesn't it?) it's really very lovely. Then again, I don't live in a swampy crap heap anymore, and I have people to plow who know what they're doing, not making a 10 foot mountain to climb and trod down in my drive way!
For those of you who think Buffalo is like the Arctic Circle, I have to point this out:
We do not keep penguins as pets. Those live at the North and South poles and the zoo.
Yes, we occasionally have blizzards, during which, you might THINK hell froze over, because if it snowed in Hell, then "this is surely what it looks like"... in which, if the piles are high enough, you realize you've walked on tops of Volkswagens come the spring. Indeed, we are famous for, and kind of hold on tight, in remembrance, for the Blizzard of '77. I was a twinkle in my father's eye, but my brother apparently had the best 4th birthday party in the world. (Mom said you could see only the tops of their hats in the snow.)
Spring comes slowly, and often damply, but we get at least 3 seasons.
This past summer, I suffered through numerous days of 90+ degree heat. In which I think I begged God for snow.
So you see, the Snow Belt really isn't all that wintry. I am not an eskimo girl. And it does really get pretty here, every season.
My Winter Wonderland. At night, my Velveteen Rabbit visits me!

2 comments:

  1. I don't know if I could do it. I wore flip flops all last winter. I had shoes on ONCE, and only because we had a freak "snowstorm" in which about 2 inches fell and stuck to the ground. We went outside to play in it, so I put shoes on. The next day I was in my flip flops once again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know people who wear shorts in blizzards, and the flops are always out, mostly for in-home use or to the laundry room/ mailbox... but it tends to get up over my ankles, WAY UP OVER- so I keep high boots.

    ReplyDelete