I blog gluten-free

Saturday, December 25, 2010

We, Baptist, Buddhist, Methodist and Muslim

I went with an old friend, (indeed, an old boyfriend of my "sister" as that goes) to a local Episcopal late night mass, then to an AA meeting and Denny's last night. Don't laugh--- yes, Bethy went to AA. (I have yet to find anything up here for other issues, and it was an open meeting). So I was @ Denny's watching the bar crowd come in at 3 AM. On Christmas Day.
The service was great, and pretty damned liberal--- one of the priests befriended me immediately and ensured I could take a full communion. They had gluten free wafers, which has been another difficulty I've had with the Catholics, leading to wine-only masses. The Church, as the Catholics say, has strict communion rules, a certain amount of alcohol in the wine, a certain amount of gluten in the wafers! (The lowest I've found is a low-GF wafer containing .10 % gluten made by Benedictine sisters).
Part of the Homily actually involved this, and I was thrilled to see it:
"We, Baptist, Buddhist, Methodist and Muslim, say come, peace. Come and fill us and our world with your majesty. We the Jew and Jainist, the Catholic and Confucian implore you to stay a while with us. So that we may learn by your shimmering light., how to look beyond complexion and see community.
...We Angels and Mortals, Believers and Non-Believers, look heavenward and speak the word aloud. Peace."

We did not just read the Christian tale of the nativity, but the Muslim and of Buddha's birth (Old man goes to see the young, shining prince, as Simeon did the young Christ). All done positively. We discussed the pagan beliefs, no rancor to be found...
You know, I've occasionally, to Episcopalian friends' delight (they couldn't quit giggling) described Episcopalian beliefs as "Diet Catholic, all the caffeine, no guilt". I'm glad to refresh myself there. Always growing without losing their ability to offer refuge.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of church! Wow I love the sound of that place! I'm glad you found it. ~MoMA

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are "Trinity@7" services every week... what most never learn in church.
    It's at Trinity Episcopal, 371 Delaware Ave, Buffalo. The usual service is "Trinity@7 or "An Encounter With God" on Sundays at 7:00 PM. They're made even for those "allergic" to the traditional religious stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are "Trinity@7" services every week... what most never learn in church.
    It's at Trinity Episcopal, 371 Delaware Ave, Buffalo. The usual service is "Trinity@7 or "An Encounter With God" on Sundays at 7:00 PM. They're made even for those "allergic" to the traditional religious stuff.

    ReplyDelete