I blog gluten-free

Monday, November 8, 2010

Tyranny Vs. Authority

This morning I had a moment of almost pure fury--- "Oh, snap! A nihilistic atheist did NOT just quote the bible AT me!" (Never mind, that he too comes from the priestly stock.) And then I realized, that quoting something that I'd used for years, I was dealing with the foggy mind that can only come from a caffeine addict drinking decaff. What I originally posted was "Opposition to authority is obedience to God" which, truly DOES go against Romans 13: 1-2
1Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.

2Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Which St Paul wrote...even seeing Emperor Nero do his thing. Wait a minute, I said... (as I became irritated at myself) then I remembered the actual quote: Opposition to tyranny is obedience to God! Not, that the Julio-Claudian emperors were above a bit of tyranny here or there.
So, here goes: I do not advocate complete overthrow of government (YET). I do believe that if something needs to change, then it is up to the citizen to do something about it. Civil disobedience, ala Henry David Thoreau? Go for it! And people: check again, even if you've known the quote for years.
Now, just how I confused tyranny for authority, I'll never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment