I blog gluten-free

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Love Is The Answer?

Whenever I've been frightened, for my life, that of another, or just of sticking my nose out the door because of the number of times it's been snipped off, a dear friend reminds me, always, of one of two verses. I may not be religious, even for a Catholic (although, if I could I'd round up a bunch for Midnight Mass) but I do believe in faith. (If you have religion and no faith, you really need help!) and I believe in these WHOLE HEARTEDLY.
The first, and I keep it posted on a wall (One of the few pictures I have that doesn't require nails I don't have yet.) is from 1 Corinthians 13: 4
Love is patient/ Love is kind/ Love envieth not, Love vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up LOVE NEVER FAILS
I try to, although I am not perfect, and will screw up here or there, live this literally, give love and care, even if I've been hurt. It makes no sense to me NOT to do so.
The second is what gets gently repeated to me:
There is no fear in love, but perfect love casteth out fearBecause Fear hath Torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love - 1 John 4:18
Most of the time, I get the first bits--- and while I pray to lose fear, or to quit hiding- I still don't know how to genuinely smile, I think- I do know what Love is, and I agree... Love can make you able to lift a Volkswagen above your head, to save a child, or to run where "angels fear to tread" to save a friend.
Love never fails? I can say only that I have to get back to you there. I know mine will never fail for those I adore, no matter how dark it gets. But I don't know if it's the answer, just yet.

3 comments:

  1. Love, itself, never fails.
    I or you or Joe Blow, who loves, can and will fail, because people are not perfectible.
    That is to say, while a marriage or a relationship or a friendship or an attempt to raise a child to be honorable may fail, it is by our own shortcomings as humans. Love, in and of itself, does not fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bub... I needed that. You said what I don't know how to say... (Because for the life of me, I couldn't quite find those words, especially today.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, itself, never fails.
    I or you or Joe Blow, who loves, can and will fail, because people are not perfectible.
    That is to say, while a marriage or a relationship or a friendship or an attempt to raise a child to be honorable may fail, it is by our own shortcomings as humans. Love, in and of itself, does not fail.

    ReplyDelete