I blog gluten-free

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Goodnight, Llamas In Pajamas

There are some songs only for "calming down" and getting ready to doze (some, like Goodnight, Irene, let's face it, startle me when I find them in children's songbooks... I heard a male/female duet where the titular Irene gets a voice on the second verse... "Last Saturday night, I got married, me and my man settled down, now it's a week and we're parting... think I'll jump in the river and drown"-- here is where "It's probably best not to analyze" is good advice.)

I'm new at this. While I'm not listening to a lot of Brahms (or any)... I do have some stuff I use only for calm.

Goodnight, Irene- Leadbelly
I'll Be Seeing You- Billie Holliday
Dream a Little Dream of Me- Ella Fitzgerald
Someone To Watch Over Me- Ella Fitzgerald
Somebody To Love- Queen (whatever works :)!)
Cheek To Cheek-Frank Sinatra
In The Arms of Sleep-The Smashing Pumpkins
Try, Try, Try (alternative, not album version)-The Smashing Pumpkins
Marathon-Tennis
Epiphany-Staind

If I work it right, I can doze within a relatively short time, and within the 45 minutes at a pop that the light-show turtle thing works before I have to press the on button again.

Here's Leadbelly. If you're a weirdo like me, this may well be calming. It might also be disturbing. But... so is so much of blues and jazz.


Recording circa 1943

No comments:

Post a Comment