I blog gluten-free

Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Peace, Harmony and Idiots

Because of the type of personality I seem to have, people seem extremely comfortable unloading... I always manage to find one or two idiots who seem to take a great delight in saying things that would cause most people to give them a good smack!
My former mother in law, years ago, responded to an email I sent, begging for peace between families, "Look, I've had just enough of this pissing match. Lorelei needs people to come together for her, precisely BECAUSE she has special needs, precisely because she is a beautiful little girl who doesn't need to see people at each other's throats while she fights to survive and thrive" with "Goddammit, I am a Christian who does not put up with swearing"- madam, you do realize that "God damn" is a curse, both literally and figuratively? You basically asked God to damn something. Pissing, of course, is an act of urination. Seen in 1st Kings and the Book of Samuel:
And it came to pass, when he began to reign, as soon as he sat on his throne, that he slew all the house of Baasha: he left him not one that pisseth against a wall, neither of his kinsfolks, nor of his friends.(1 Kings 16:11 KJV)
"Lorelei (of course she spelled it wrong!) needs to see that some, including your abusive family (EXCUSE ME?) are not the nice people they pretend to be. You, a Catholic, needs to come to Christ, if I can lead the way, that's great. But don't even think for a second there can be peace between our families. You need to come to terms with the fact that a disabled mother cannot possibly help a child, and that you cannot love her as you say if you try so hard, along with your bitch of a mother, to try to raise her without the input of us, who can hear her crying (And do what, shake her like you did to see if you could get her to cry, and make the apnea monitor quit wailing?)". See, most would have thoroughly throttled her or sent back the knee-jerk "You fucking bitch" missive. As it was, I did paraphrase Gandhi. "I am very familiar with, and do know Jesus Christ, thank you. I am only saddened and disappointed that many of his erstwhile followers have yet to actually listen." (It earned me an ear-boxing, but I'm not ashamed.) I've gotten to the point where I bottle up my snap reactions to the stupidity I've seen, trying to live between 2 worlds, and being able to "pass" occasionally, enough that I'm told what should never be said by the ignorant.
Sometimes, they have no idea that it's not just the word but the actions that speak for them, and I've learned to really watch people. I can tell bottled up anger from a mile away, just as I can feel others' sadness and rejoice when, as long as they don't get their happiness hurting themselves or another, they find some peace. I can also smell danger. Now, I have learned to go very far away from dangers. My gut will tell me when something is not right, I generally am not wrong when I follow it.
In closing:
Love even the awful people you meet, even if it's merely that they are human. We are called to give love and peace, not to hate. I am relearning this, after actually receiving a good lesson in hatred.
Be kind to all. Stick close to, and care for, that select few. Separate the wheat from the chaff, and only keep the "wheat" around. Say what you need to about those that have hurt you, forgive, and move on, keeping the lessons that even they can teach, with you.
In closing:
"The world is a beautiful place. You must go into it and love everyone. Try to make everyone happy, and bring peace and contentment everywhere you go..." Gaston, the French Waiter, in Monty Python's the Meaning of Life.
And: It's not very special, but: Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations.
Yes, both are ended with filthy humor, but good advice to live by. And if I can help another, then that is all I can ask for.

No comments:

Post a Comment