I blog gluten-free

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Listen to the Mustn'ts

A young lady doesn't do this, you need to do that, You shouldn't complain, remember that what is hurting you is your own damn fault, blah blah blah...
And most of the time, I choose to take that and simply ignore it. Until it messes with my emotions, like it sadly has, lately. I've been a real boob... using every nasty filthy thing that's ever been told me about me, and coloring myself with it, becoming infuriated instead of politely ignoring idiots, and getting upset when people in pain lash out.
But it's time to listen to my own advice! And I sure seem not to be shy at all when meting it out!
"Physician, heal thyself"- a go to I use when someone should possibly apply their necessary advice, offered out of care for me, to themselves. I've said it for years!
"Et tu Brute?" is what I use at the end of certain speeches that I've heard before time and time again.
"Pride goeth before the fall"- little bit of advice I give me when I'm sick and being stubborn because I don't want to let someone take care of me.
Screw that, I'll listen to this instead!
I have had to listen to a lot of mustn'ts, can'ts, shoulds, and the like. "You won't survive to be 30."
"You can't do that, Beth, you're disabled"--- this teacher was offered a shocking, surprise shout of "FUCK YOU! YES I CAN!"
"Your place is to be a good girl- don't be angry, it's a sin, and only sluts open their mouths and actually complain." Ok, well, I'm not angry--- I'm going to simply do what's right- for ME.
I've beat the impossible stuff, I've had my tragedies. I've been hurt by, and hurt, people I cared about. But I can't let that control me. I've got to work on me, if I can ever help someone else.
Listen to Mustn'ts, child, listen to the Don'ts
Listen to the Shouldn'ts, the Impossibles, the Won'ts.
Listen to the Never Haves, then listen close to me
Anything can happen, child,
Anything can be _ Shel Silverstein

No comments:

Post a Comment