I blog gluten-free

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Dear Gentle Giant


My father, given the nickname "Gentle Giant" (6'2" 220 pounds and shockingly as gentle as he was stubborn)- gave me advice on men up until he died in '95.
Among his rules were:
"If he can't open a door, or make sure you're comfortable before he sits down, then he's not worthy of MY baby girl!"
"A woman's hair is her crowning glory." - another reason I refuse to chop mine ever again! (And why, for a while, I winced when I'd see a pair of beautician's scissors near my head)
"Open doors for the elderly."- It's amazing to me that when I do, and it's a pretty automatic habit, people are shocked. I thought this was what everyone was taught.
"There's religion and there's faith. Keep the faith, but there is no sin in mocking religion."
"Test a man's handshake. And be firm with yours. You don't want a limp "Wet fish" handshake, and you don't want a man with one either."
I'm not sure if this was advice, or a rule, or something all fathers say, but: "When you start dating, I will be cleaning my rifle. If I don't like him, you're not dating him. And I don't know if there IS a man worthy of you." (Thanks, Dad.)
"A good man will like the fact that you have brains in your head. Don't play dumb for any man".
"Treat people with compassion, and love. Don't let people bring you down, but understand people mess up now and then. And forgive them."
"Love those who hate you, even when it's difficult."
"You have an oddball sense of humor...dry, like a good wine... don't worry, there will be someone who will actually notice the twinkle in your eye and that little smirk. Your humor is slow and subtle, but it hits with a big impact."
"It's a tough world you were born into. But while many can't understand you, you don't realize, you probably know more about them than they're comfortable with."
"Trust your gut. It's when you ignore that "something's wrong" feeling that things go wrong."
"If you are hurt by someone, and in fear, it is no sin to fight back. Save your life by any means necessary". (My ex husband was, I admit, the recipient of my foot to his crotch. He never tried the trick of attempting to sleep with me while I was out ever again. If that, rather than the shove and run worked- well, hey, it worked.)
"If anyone hurts you, honey, there will be HELL to pay."
"Remember, baby, you're tougher than you think you are."
Thanks, Gentle Giant. I don't mourn as I did..I remember the good, now, not just the memories of hospitals and machines and sitting with you while you did your work on that old IBM laptop during your dialysis. And while April will be 16 years without you, I know... you're still around, somehow. And I should really listen to you more

No comments:

Post a Comment