I blog gluten-free

Tuesday, June 12, 2012

So Simple, So Overlooked: The Swiss Army Tampon

I've posted before on basic survival gear and always keeping a bag packed somewhere so I could run out the door on little notice and still have money, food, clothing, and "essentials".

Somewhere along the way, someone noted the mighty tampon... remember, the word tampon comes from the French, tapon, little plug or little stopper. While these are in every kit I have, including my purse (I dare anyone to tell me exactly where they are... I purposefully put them where I won't accidentally grab one while searching for spare change or laundry money in front of anyone... or while doing a decidedly "Casually Uncomfortable" search through my purse when I want to look like I'm busy or "casual" as opposed to twitchy... lesson 1: always keep hands busy... or people start wondering why you're sitting there wringing your hands.

So, if emergencies do develop, I can act as supplier for someone who suddenly had their visit from crotchety Auntie Flo pop up, or save myself embarrassment. (Lesson 2: also keep Pamprin or Midol in an out of the way place in your purse... preferably not with the mints and gums. You never know when it comes in handy.)

But, it's an absorbent bit of cotton/cottonish batting with a string. It's not like you could (or would) attach all matter of eating and cutting utensils and use it in lieu of a pocket knife? ("When we go camping," said the Dutchess, "I use only the best Tampax utensils."-Bonus if you can say that in a hoity-toity voice.) Well, no... but... as I began to figure out when I found this article among a list of "You might be interested in"... there's more to a little bit of batting on a string.
The Swiss Army Tampon

From a personal water filter, to emergency bandages (but of course!)- actually, the basic Kotex pad as we know it did start off as a thick pad to absorb blood and cover wounds on the battle field, so this is not so much an obvious use, as going back to square one, to material for a fire, or to cool down food, there's more than meets the eye.

And my, what a romantic candle can be made from the string, animal fat, or pine tar, and a mussel shell. Camping= ah, c'est romantique!

No comments:

Post a Comment