I blog gluten-free

Friday, June 15, 2012

Crackin' the Whip

Sometimes, I have to wonder just what gets into me and suddenly causes me to spout the most bizarre and perhaps inappropriate questions.

I had a hard time with plurals for words ending in "S" and X" --- "S" is somewhat simple---you can have one hippopotamus, or one uterus, but you'll have one hippopotami or two uteri. (Or one hypothalami, according to spell check.) I had to stop myself before I asked a rather liberal (in the sense of "favorable to or in accord with concepts of maximum individual freedom possible...") teacher "What do I have if I have more than one dominatrix?" (Besides the obvious.) For some reason, after being teased as regards a purse I got for an insanely good price, "Well," I said, "It's true...I like Louis Vuitton for quality and for the company's history, but really? I was tickled at the price being so low because of a small stain of dye on one of the straps. And I love the smell of leather.."
 "Bethy, you do have some leanings towards being a dominatrix, after all!"
"What do you call more than one dominatrix?" I almost asked again, "Do they hang out in groups, have conventions and pick out whips together? 'Martha, you've got to try the Pounder 5,000XXT Special Edition!' A gaggle, a legion, a murder, like crows?" I'm sort of glad I stopped myself. I blame nothing more than a very warped sense of curiosity.

2 comments:

  1. plural dominatrixes or dominatrices. and yes there are conventions and groups (called stables)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I knew my curiosity would EVENTUALLY help me! Odd, I never even thought of "stables".

    ReplyDelete