I blog gluten-free

Monday, June 6, 2011

Summer & Braided Bread

Ah, summer! Not a time to be considering baking bread---after all, depending on weather sources, it's supposed to hit 80 this week. Indeed, pool is open, when I actually see life guards and not just kids walking on the roof of the pool house, I will be down there with my blackberry, in case I find something awesome to snap down there, (not kids walking on the roof.) But, I have been on a search for challah, a braided bread found often in Kosher bakeries.
This is challah:
It is a gorgeous braided bread. :) 

In my search, I came across a gluten free- good luck bread notably used on New Year's Day by Greeks.
I could use the same basics and make up a version with no coin to get in my way, alackaday, I would find and choke on the coin!

If you're interested, the Good Luck Bread in entirety: (from www.schar.com/us

Uses a lot of European measurements, will have to calculate and get back to you here. Telling you to use 0.36/1 oz is just an awful thing for me to do!

Needs a converter, working on this now, but here's the recipe card: click for full size!

I found a mini challah, a bit of a GF all purpose flour and some xanthan gum, and I can whip this beauty up. I used to occasionally make or buy challah prior to diagnosis in '09, however, it's been something I've been trying to find in vain!


Ingredients

  • 1-1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
  • 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 4 teaspoons sugar
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 egg
  • 1-1/2 to 1-2/3 cups all-purpose flour

  • TOPPING:
  • 1 tablespoon beaten egg
  • 1/4 teaspoon cold water
  • 3/4 teaspoon sesame or poppy seeds, optional

Directions

  • In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the oil, sugar,
  • salt, egg and 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in enough
  • remaining flour to form a soft dough.
  • Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
  • 6-8 minutes. Place in a bowl coated with cooking spray, turning once
  • to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about
  • 1 hour.
  • Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide into
  • thirds. Shape each portion into an 8-in. rope. Place ropes on a
  • baking sheet coated with cooking spray and braid; pinch ends to seal
    • and tuck under. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
    • Beat egg and water; brush over braid. Sprinkle with sesame or poppy
    • seeds if desired. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden
    • brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool. Yield: 1 loaf (8 slices).
    Nutrition Facts: 1 slice equals 137 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 35 mg cholesterol, 232 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat.



What I want to do, is create a mixture out of Bigelow Cinnamon Stick and French Vanilla teas (3 and 2 teabags, respectively), add milk, eggs, and let it soak in the refridgerator for at least 2 hours. I've done something like this, and although I'm not a huge French Vanilla fan (Rarely, if at all, will I go near French Vanilla flavoring, too much of a chocolate fiend, and it might be a bit TOO sweet for me.)

Bigelow does more than tea, and how nice to mix two things I love, tea and fresh-baked bread!
Vanilla and Cinnamon French Toast, Bigelow Tea

Have a lovely summer & Happy Baking! Please use sunscreens if you go out in the sun, you should not bake yourself to a crisp!
Na zadrovie! (To your health!)

Summer brings out Wanderlust and really brings out my enjoyment of expanding my food horizons. 

No comments:

Post a Comment