I blog gluten-free

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Quinoa-Banana Bread

Banana bread has been right out for the most part here. I love the smell, the taste, that lovely feeling. I was given a copy of Living Without- great mag, by the way- and while they interviewed Danica McKellar- the lovely lady who played Winnie on the Wonder Years, about her wheat allergy, which is different from what I deal with, but still has to live on a somewhat limiting diet (You'll never believe how happy I was when I bit into a gluten-free bagel that didn't taste like cardboard. For some, the joy I felt might have been more appropriate for a marriage proposal.)- and came across her recipe for banana bread, which rather than flour, uses Quinoa flakes, which I've used as a breakfast cereal but serves well as a flour substitute too. (Ugh- I have some mild issues with "food substitute" but know I might as well get used to it.)
Now, the biggest boon I've heard about is the popularity of the gluten free diet- for health, weight loss, and other reasons. This fad-dy tendency may well work in favor of the ill. (Hollywood, hold tight to the Quinoa and tapioca! We count on YOU!) Better restaurants, choices, no more odd orders like "I'll have a whopper salad". Count me in. Someday, I'll have a cafe of my own- where wheat, rye, spelt, etc is foreign to the tastebuds, but taste isn't.
Without further ado, as I adore recipes, and know the benefits of quinoa quite well:
Quinoa-Banana Bread
Makes 1 Loaf
(The riper the fruit the better.)
1/2 cup + 2 teaspoons of quinoa flour
1/3 cup quinoa flakes

2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of baking powder
1/4 teaspoon of salt; or to taste
2 peeled, very ripe bananas
2 large eggs or equivalent
2 tablespoons of honey


Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit
Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan
Place dry ingredients in large bowl. Mix until well-combined.

In a smaller bowl, mash bananas, and mix in eggs and honey until combined.
Add banana mixture to dry ingredients, beat until combined and batter has a smooth consistency.
Pour batter into greased pan. Bake 20-25 minutes.
Next up, I will repost my semi- irritated recipe, which is pretty fool-proof and works well to make pie crust and relieve tension. I couldn't leave on a depressing note, and in this weather, I want sweets and a warm blanket. Welcome, October!

No comments:

Post a Comment