I blog gluten-free

Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Karma, Karma, Karma Chameleon

I see posts regarding karma a lot. "You'll get what's coming to you, you, you...wayward foot fetishist!" (Nothing against them, I wanted something sillier than the usual epithets.) "Karma will kick your butt!" Well, here goes:

If I were to believe in karma, (I mean, I have not only studied divine crime and punishment, but am a Catholic, after all... we're taught not to be superstitious. Or at least we're supposed to be. Stop giggling.)
I'd have to acknowledge good and bad.

It's not a sweet fuzzy blanket for the hurting!

I never know why so many people use "karma" as a stick to hit a person with. Yeah, you get what you give, all right, but isn't it a bit wrong to want someone to be harmed? (Answer: Yes, and not a bit.) Isn't there enough misery in the world without wishing that if Joe Schmoe from Bumfuk decides to screw you over, that Joe ends up being screwed over? It sounds lovely, like a little fuzzy comfort blanket: "The wrongs you do will be punished in this lifetime! By a force greater than you!" But... in the same basic way, isn't wishing wrong on a person a good way to get this same punishment applied to you? 

I've been told, a few times I'll be punished unimaginatively. It brought to mind a scene from Monty Python's Spanish Inquisition sketch: "And now, the comfy chair!" That is, I translated "unimaginatively" to boringly.
Thanks, dolls... God bless.
Karma is this: Simple cause and effect! Explain little kids suffering and bad things happening to good people.



No comments:

Post a Comment