I blog gluten-free

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Eat Drink and Be Merry

The Lenten Season is upon us again. 40 days of death to self (at least, this is how I generally translate it... a chance to give back, and "give up" selfishness.)- to honor Christ's 40 days of temptation and sacrifice in the deserts. Today, Mardis Gras, Fat Tuesday, Shrove Tuesday (Pancake Day)Paczki Day- however you celebrate- is that day to Eat, Drink, and Be Merry. Tonight, there will be parades and wild displays, with cheap strings of beads being tossed about. There will be drinking, dancing and parties.
Tomorrow, many will line up to receive ashes to the forehead, a memory of our day of mourning, of Christ's triumph over temptations and our humbling ourselves as he did, for 40 long days. On Fridays, until the middle of April, many will subsist on fish, an old tradition from when Catholics celebrated every Friday meat-less except for fish. I detest fish, and fish fry is never a big fan-favorite here, so my Lenten Fridays will be "salad days".
Today, this Tuesday, eat, drink and be merry... truly! Be blessed. Tomorrow:
But come back to me with all your heart, fasting, weeping and mourning
Turn again to the lord your God, for He is all tenderness and compassion

Slow to anger, rich in graciousness and ready to relent. _Joel 2:12-13.
Being faithful is not always easy, but even in times of mourning there is joy. Do not just "give up" particularly habits you do not mean to keep. Instead, give to. That blog will be reposted before this one is officially posted.
Today, friends, family, eat, drink and be merry. And as always, love one another.

3 comments:

  1. I have been trying to add something of substance to my Faith for Lent each year for the past, oh, 7 years or so. I was so blessed yesterday (being the same day you wrote this) to find my Faith addition for Lent (and beyond). I am joining a Bible-study/playgroup that I was invited to by a woman that I just met at Tops. God works in funny and ironic ways. ;)

    ReplyDelete