I blog gluten-free

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Cogito Ergo Sum

I can spend time analyzing... feeling bad that I can't quite manage to say what I know needs to be said correctly.

Why worry about silly little things... when I've dealt with the big ones? If I stopped doing what I was doing, whenever people told me "You can't..." I'd be standing stock-still, a 5'5" pillar of salt. (Which, of course, would be great if people were having margaritas-- no more looking for that lost shaker of salt.)

Timing has been damn ugly. But stressing over a chain of bizarre and- let's face it- if I think about it, I have to laugh at myself... rather silly little things. Yes, sometimes, things DO get to me. That's what a good walk is for. Or cooking, or going off grid. (Not, however, letting my cell phone go dead. Bad mistake.)

Sure, there's people in the world I'd rather not have around me... everyone does.

But, it's dark enough---this month, we'll have the darkest day of the year, with the shortest day and longest night... and in the dark, it's better to give light.

I've decided... I'm thinking happy. Because, at least as Rene Descartes said, "I think, therefore, I am". (Cogito ergo sum--- it has a nice swing to it. )

 I will not, however, allow people to hurt because of me. It is not fair, it is not right.

The time is NOW... to be a source of light. To remember where my priorities lie. And laugh at silly little things that in the big picture, really don't matter. To quit slapping on a smile, and actually BEING joyful.

4 comments:

  1. Love this one and couldn't agree more. When it is darkest it is indeed time to be the light. Especially enjoyed the last part........of actually BEING joyful. I will remember that one and carry it with me. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very Merry Christmas, 3 weeks early :) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the fact that this works very well.  At the darkest point in my life, dealing with grief for my Mom while the life of another loved one hung in the balance, I decided that I could be happy or miserable and I made it a point to pick one every morning.  And so I did, choosing happiness and joy and thanking God for everything.  The second loved one made it through the crisis and is still with me.   

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems--- once a year or so, I hit that point--- the shorter days,  the cold... but I always think it's a shame to be so dark when I've seen miracles happen, and there's beauty if you look for it. I can't say I don't get moody... or that things don't occasionally make me feel like I need to run... but I can't stay in the dark. :) God bless, Darlene! <3

    ReplyDelete