I blog gluten-free

Sunday, April 10, 2011

Egg Cream Nostalgia

In 2001, I met a dear sweet girl, up in Cobleskill. She came from Brooklyn, and when we travelled back by train to meet her crazy, elderly Polish/Argentinean/Jewish parents, I was not only welcomed immediately, but... I was treated to an egg cream for the very first time. This was a marvelous treat, and is so not described by its name. I expected milky eggs in a cup, and then, I got this lovely chocolate soda. The ingredients are simple...and oddly, contains no egg. Anna: THANK YOU! :-)

An egg cream, as I had it, is made this way, and I hope to replicate it soon! (Although nothing beats Brooklyn for this. We have wings, you have egg creams.)

1/2 cup of whole milk
1 cup of just-opened bottled seltzer
2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup. New Yawkas insist on Fox's U-Bet syrup for this.
Preparation:  
Pour 1/2 inch of cold milk into a tall soda glass. Add seltzer or club soda to within 1 inch of the top of the glass; stir vigorously with a long spoon (this will cause it to become white and bubbly with a good head of foam).
Very gently pour 2 tablespoons of chocolate syrup slowly down the inside of the glass; briskly stir with a long spoon only at the bottom of the glass where the chocolate sits. The resulting drink should have a dark brown bottom and a 1-inch high pure white foam top (if you mix it too much, the foam disappears).
I am nostalgic. And cannot believe it's been 10 years already since I first had this treat. 

No comments:

Post a Comment