I blog gluten-free

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April Showers

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars".
Darkness and tragedy, drama, and more stress than it seems the sane could handle is all around at present. I joke often, "I can feel it in the air: there is a baby with diaper rash in Timbuktu tonight." It is a disastrous feeling, a sad one, when you do have to throw up hands and say, "There is not much I can do, I can be there, but I do not have a magic wand to wave. They have to improve on their own power."

Yes, there are people in the world who thrive on others' pain. A cry of help is music to their ears. There are also people who give, and give and give, who, if a group were starving to death, no hope of rescue in sight, would offer an arm and say "Oh, take my arm, I don't need two." Who receive the pain, and as they have been leaned upon, do not know how to lean on anyone else. These are marvelous, beautiful souls who keep their pain hidden-at least until the inevitable blow up comes. People are bleeding. Oh, April, thou art a cruel month. Under your gray skies and downpours, it seems casualties tend to be taken more often at this time of year. Not, of course, that I could or would chart that, it's not a set of problems and results I'd like to take upon myself.

I have to learn when to say "When". (Out of curiosity, have you noticed- when people are told "Say when" they most often do not, but instead offer "Stop." "Done" or "Oh, too full!")
But, just as there are those who do thrive upon drama, feeding upon it like rabid hyenas upon a gazelle's corpse, so too should be the ideal of "Offer light. Offer sunshine. Yes, things suck and stress is all around. But you can be better than that, right?" I cannot help being idealistic anymore than I could help being an imperfect human. But I can learn, even from assholes. In every life, some rain must fall. Well, then here I come in my ducky wellies... to dance in the puddles, and to hopefully, offer a light in the darkness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment