I blog gluten-free

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Crescent Rolls

I adore crescent rolls... piping hot, with a good smidgen of butter and a good cup of coffee. I was a little teary watching all the Pillsbury commercials for their canned crescents, until I remembered some gluten-free ones I tried that hit the spot without setting off that awful auto-immune reaction (Basically, my body attacks gluten, contained in wheat, rye, spelt, and barley, as a virus. Hives, flu symptoms and fevers to follow!) so I asked for the recipe for the GF version, and was offered it with a smile. Now, for my nephew, I somehow have to find a substitute for butter and cottage cheese. No soy, here, otherwise I'd find a soy cottage cheese.

Gluten Free Crescent Rolls:
Ingredients:
1/2 stick (1/4 cup) of butter
3/4 cup of small-curd cottage cheese (NOT the fat-free version!)
1/3 cup of sorghum flour
1/3 cup millet flour
1/3 cup brown rice flour
1 teaspoon of xanthan gum
1/8 teaspoon of salt
3/4 teaspoon of baking powder
1 teaspoon of sugar
1) Mix butter and cottage cheese with mixer until well-blended.
2)In a second medium bowl, mix dry ingredients. Add to butter mixture.
3)Mix until dough forms. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours.
4)Preheat oven to 350 &degree; Fahrenheit.
5)Sprinkle rice flour on parchment paper
6)Roll dough into 14" circle.
7)Cut into 8 triangles with a pizza cutter.
8)Roll each, starting on the wide side, towards the narrow
9)Place on greased baking sheet and bake for 18-20 minutes.
Serve HOT!

2 comments:

  1. For those of you who prefer an "all purpose flour" as I do, rather than the 1/3 ratio mixture here, Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur make a great one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. For those of you who prefer an "all purpose flour" as I do, rather than the 1/3 ratio mixture here, Bob's Red Mill and King Arthur make a great one!

    ReplyDelete